Thursday, December 8, 2016

EXTRA CREDIT

Selfie Us and Them
  
A selfie is a self-portrait photograph, typically taken with a digital camera or camera phone held in the hand or supported by a selfie stick. Selfies are often shared on social networking services such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. They are usually flattering and made to appear casual. Most selfies are taken with a camera held at arm's length or pointed at a mirror, rather than by using a self-timer. A selfie stick can be used to position the camera farther away from the subject, allowing the camera to see more around them. It can be done by individuals or group of persons

  In Selfie Us and Them, artists tend to focus on identity, personality, the viewer and the gaze and how images can be effected to reflect ideas and send messages across. It mainly drives its theme from self expression, knowledge and self recognition through a free spectacle which allows the viewer to get a different perception and meaning into the arts using digital media. It thus brings to effect varied reactions.
 The obsession of selfies and how the world has received it allows the artists to show arts that allows the viewer to look up instead of to look at the artist. There was some works that are described as the "anti-selfie". What this means is that the artists brings so much by taking photos about passion and sights at any moment becomes my then selfie. It is exciting and adds creativity to popular selfie culture through imagination.
It has initiated a new trend into the selfie craze and the artists at the center have used flashy, and photos. According to Hao Feng, our generation is obsessed with selfies and they have narcissistic tendencies. People of all ages feel the need to document every waking moment of their lives in photos. My selfies are anti-selfie. I don’t show off in my selfies. What I display is an attitude, “look up”, rather then look at me. I travel so much, so taking photos about what I’m looking up to and what I’m feeling at that moment becomes my selfie. I have uploaded at least three photos every day to #haolookup via Instagram. I also create animations according my imagination.
These concepts as depicted by Feng will open a new avenues where artists can explore and also give viewers a new way to interpret these works. Thus it is more beyond just taken pictures whiles looking at the cameras. There can be more when the camera is facing the other side with purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment