Monday, October 10, 2016

Draft Proposal - Frank Barcelos

Growing up in Jersey City, and being a student at Rutgers Newark, I've pretty much grown up in diversity. I was able to make friends of many cultures, taste different cuisines, and see the different areas of the town and city with different demographics.

For my semester project, I want to do a photo series on intercultural couples. Whether the couple is dating or married, I want to photograph them, and share a little of their story in the cultural aspect. If time and money permits, I hope to take photos of the couple, in three different types:

  1. In their regular everyday clothing.
  2. In their own cultural attire.
  3. In their others' cultural attire.
I think this will be a very interesting visual as it shows that in dating or in marriage, shows the unity and convergence of two cultures coming together. It's something that I see as beautiful, so I wish to showcase that.

I think the challenges for an assignment like this would definitely be acquiring traditional cultural attire for each of the people. But if not, I might be able to do just the first two types above. Ideally, I would have three different picture of each couple.
Raphael (Filipino-American) with Alyssa (Italian-American)

Bryant (Chinese-American) with Nikki (Filipino-American)



3 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I think you should also focus on if the two individuals are really ingrained in their culture and how the big differences impact their relationship. Whether it be about religion, or marriage, or even morality or how they treat others. For example, my dad is Nigerian and in his culture respect is like the #1 thing. And that is ingrained literally in me and affects the way I not only see the world but treat other people. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like this project, sounds really interesting. I think if you are unable to photograph them in their traditional cultural attire, you can photograph them during a cultural event or festivity. It would be really fascinating to see how they interact with each others culture.

      Delete
  2. I think this is a brilliant idea. I agree with Victoria's comment about if you can't catch them in cultural garb, but I think that you can also take pictures of them with their respectful families which would make a greater impact, maybe.

    ReplyDelete