Thursday, October 27, 2016

Midterm Proposal: The YouTube Experience


Before I divulge into what I am doing for my midterm let me explain a little bit of what lead me to choose my topic. Ever since I can remember I have been quite fascinated by the phenomenon of YouTube and the power it has to influence people or bring a community together. For me this project has really become an opportunity for me to explore the influence and power that YouTube has and is consistently gaining. As one of it’s consumers I would like to branch out to the other side a be the creator of the products. How do these seemingly average consumers go from being a consumer to a brand being consumed, and a perfect example YouTuber who is such is Lily Singh, also know as IISuperWomanII. 


The way in which I will go about this is quite simple, I will become a YouTuber, at least attempt to become one. For me it’s a step out of my comfort zone to put myself really out their, and with a family that really doesn’t support the idea of doing such is an added pressure.  I am already out there more or less with a published documentary with 1.7 million views and counting on Facebok. I want to take it another step further where I am in full control of what is being done, with that freedom it will truly allow for me to explore the experience that a well-known YouTuber may possibly experience.

The question of, what does it mean to be a YouTuber? How does it work? And can anyone do it? Is what wish tor truly explore and answer and the only way in which I see this being answered is by putting myself in that position and immerse myself into becoming a part of this platform. The way I will be keeping up with the progress is by creating content, such videos and vlogs as much as possible, and then by analyzing this process on a blog. My project will try and attempt to understand how this following comes about and people and how they know become a brand. 



2 comments:

  1. Hi! I really like your project. I been doing YouTube videos since 201, not consistently. I find it really hard to get in certain communities of YouTube,for example, the beauty community because it has been saturated and is harder to stand out in thousands and thousands of "YouTubers." Your project makes me think of "shamelessmaya" a YouTuber who started a social experiment of shamelessly promoting herself on social media, being YouTube one of those platform. Here's how she started and how successful she has become as a result. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRBib529A-8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hamna,

    I think this is a really cool project. I have also been fascinated how people could gain so many followers and fans through Youtube videos. Though I do not follow any beauty channels, i can see similarities with the guys who do "Epic Meal Time." Those guys just decided to act a fool in a kitchen and now they have their own tv show. Im looking forward to your project.

    ReplyDelete