Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Race in the Media

My final project will focus on the portrayal of race in the media. Many races such as Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, Arabs etc have faced either negative portrayals or have little to no representation of themselves in the media. Nowadays media is now a part of our daily lives since we consume media from the moment we wake up to the moment we go to sleep. And through this media we see how the world views certain races and this in turn can shape our views on those races. As such people could become narrow minded and only these races in a certain light. Therefore, my final project will be a short film. This film will be a skit about how media often misrepresents, or stereotypes people through their race. Through this I hope to open people's eyes about learning to accept a person as a person and not through their race.

3 comments:

  1. I believe that I brought this up during your presentation, but you should definitely showcase films that should be casting Asian actors are constantly being white-washed. The disrespect shown to the multiple cultures and traditions across Europe are being portrayed through actors that know nothing about them. Examples being Matt Damon as the lead in Th Great Wall of China,https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jul/29/the-great-wall-china-film-matt-damon-whitewashed. And Scarlett Johansson being cast as the lead in Ghost of a Shell, https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/apr/15/scarlett-johanssons-role-in-ghost-in-the-shell-ignites-twitter-storm. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris,

    I was just encouraging Frank to showcase Asians, too, and I want to do the same for you. I agree with what Daisy wrote. I think focusing on Asians could be your strongest angle.
    Hollywood is too good at white washing ethnic films. If there is one race that is extremely underrepresented, it's Asian people, and I find it extremely annoying and disrespectful how Asians continue to be stereotyped in shows/movies, but when there comes a time for a serious casting for an Asian character...they choose a white man or a white woman. It's a serious problem, and I wish you can address that in your skit. I sincerely hope your project goes viral, and that 10 years from now, casting Asian people becomes the norm, and not something "that just doesn't happen." Best of luck on your project. You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like my project is similar to yours, except I'm talking about Latinos in the Media. Focusing on Asians in media and the lack of representation is very important because is an issue that's is not talked about. I find it crazy to believe that Jackie Chan just received a recognition for his work. He has be doing amazing movies for the longest,but yet he was just recognize? He is a great example of how there hasn't been enough recognition of Asian actors.

    ReplyDelete