Wednesday, October 26, 2016

The Benefits Social Media has given Sports Teams

For my semester project I am focusing on two of my passions put together. Sports and Social Media. Social Media is changing the way fans are engaging with their favorite sports team or athlete. In the world of social media sports teams are doing to best to provide the best content to their audience. Whether it is highlights of a game, interviews with athletes, or a thank you to the fans. With this project I want to show my reader how convenient it is to be on social media while also being a die hard fan. Sure one wishes to attend every single game or at least home game of their favorite team but with skyrocketing ticketing prices it is almost impossible unless you have a season pass. What about NFL Sunday Ticket or MLB Pass or any other TV/cable access to the game. Well? That too is also expensive to afford and at least I, who am a sports geek don't want to pay the price to have channels I might not be able to watch because I am at work or at school. What about ESPN mobile app or other sports news app in the market? They too are good but the point i'm getting to is that you have to have some sort of subscription to enjoy this content. Now we are getting somewhere with social media taking the lead and providing us ways to not only watch but also engage in the content they provide us with.

I will try to make this project in a form of a blog, as formal as an article, but entertaining as a movie with visuals and examples to support my points. Facts will come from scholarly reviewed articles which I will cite in my work. Points I will focus on answering are:


  • Social media engagement by fans from 5 big sports in America (Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer)
  • How social media has allowed sports teams in America capitalize on the social trends created out of nowhere but with huge popularity.




No comments:

Post a Comment