Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Summary: How do gender roles affect us?

For my semester project I am going to be starting a blog.  My first two posts will be about the ways in which gender roles affect us as individuals when we are children and continue to make a bigger impact on society as we grow into adults.  I've found a few articles from the NY Times as well as BBC and the Huffington Post.  My first post will be about the ways in which children are gendered before they are even born.  I will explore the pink vs blue fight, the ways toys affect children, and the way parents' expectations can affect children's psychological state. My second post will cover the ways early exposure to gender roles can affect the people we grow to be as adults.  I will discuss how gender expectations of men and women can lead to objectification of women and rape culture.  I plan to find more scholarly articles on these affects gender roles have on society.  I hope to use this blog to inform my readers about feminism and what true equality can look like.

1 comment:

  1. This is an important topic as gender roles have a great impact on society. One thing you may include in your first blog post is the new trend regarding "Gender Reveal Parties." Although it's an exciting time for parents, they're already labeling an unborn child and categorizing colors and interests according to their gender. I found this article interesting: http://everydayfeminism.com/2016/02/gender-reveal-parties-harmful/

    ReplyDelete