Thursday, October 6, 2016

Draft Proposal- Victoria Silverio






For my project I would like to explore the misrepresentation of the Latin culture in films, TV, books. Some of the questions I would like to addressed is, how exactly are Latinos represented?  What effects does it have on the Latin community in the United States?  Have effects those misrepresentations have on the Latin community?
Have Latinos come to embrace the stereotypes portrayed in media? what is the community doing to changes those misrepresentations?

In my project I would like to see how Latinos were portrayed in media in the past and how has that changed?  For example, I would like to talk about Films such as, West Side Story, directed by Jerome Robbins and Robert Wise, which received a lot of criticisms for showcasing Latinos a negative way.




2 comments:

  1. I really like your idea and it's something that I think is important to notice. I do feel like Hispanics are very badly represented. They are cast as illegal immigrants, maids, gardeners, and most characters speak broken English. I found a NYTimes article that is old, but still applies to what is going on in the media. Lupe Ontiveros talked about being cast as 150 different maids. That shows the lack of diversity in the roles that are written for Hispanics. There is also a NBC article that touches similar points.
    You can also look at who the major Hispanic characters are now. Jane the Virgin and Modern Family have major characters that are Hispanic, but still they are all stereotypes for the most part. There are the over-sexualized Latinas, the heavy accents, and the fact that they are maids and illegal.
    NYT article: http://nyti.ms/2cFdJLY
    NBC article:http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/latinos-hollywood-few-roles-frequent-stereotypes-new-study-finds-n523511

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mishael for your comment and linked articles. This will be really helpful for my research. I agree with everything you said. This has been a problem for many years and still is a problem. Thus, what's happening with Latinos and Hispanic characters that are still being bad represented by media? Again, thanks.

    ReplyDelete