Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Draft Proposal: Under-appreciated Nurses

Give meds. Blood Pressure. Shots, Scheduling. Crushes Medicine. Rolls Patients in and out. Check the IV bag--wait, write down this prescription. Make critical decisions. 

This is a list that pertains to only one job. And that job is Nursing. 

Growing up, I would look up to the women and men, mostly women, who would work late-night shifts and come home to three children clamoring for their attention. The job that they did still continued when it came to taking care of the sickly, big family at home made me feel like they were under-appreciated especially when it came to fields that are much higher than theirs. 

I believe, in this society, that we tend to give the praise only to Doctors when Nurses are really the ones in the background who do most of the dirty work that we take for granted. 
Image result for touching nurse pictures
http://www.stylist.co.uk/life/husband-s-touching-facebook-post-naming-his-overworked-nurse-wife-a-hero-goes-viral
I cannot count how many stories I've heard of how heroic nurses are because all I hear is that the Doctor was the one only responsible. I want to highlight this issue by bringing light to what nurses have to go through in order to do their job with the utmost care. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rhesa, I just wrote a beautiful comment, and I hit "sign out" instead of "publish." So, here I go again.... <3

    I LOVE your idea. I completely agree with you. Nurses are very underappreciated, but I am curious to hear more about the details of your project. what do you want to do? a paper, video, blog? It would be cool if you can interview or possibly even shadow nurses. And also consider the fact that there are sadly other workers under doctors who are also not given enough attention, like the rest of the medical staff, which includes medical assistants, technicians, etc. even front desk workers take almost as much BS as people who work in the back. So, maybe you'd want to do that. Overall, I really do love the topic, but gimme more meat, girl!! and let me know if you need further input, and good luck. You got this.

    xoxo- Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a fantastic idea as I also totally agree with you. While I agree with you, I also somewhat underestimate nurses. My mom is once, and being in the Filipino community, I can see why you would choose this topic.

    I would definitely like to see portrait photos and definitely maybe some video footage on interviews or nurses in action if possible.

    ReplyDelete