Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Midterm Summary: Sneaker Project



I've decided to do my project on the influence of media and the internet upon sneaker culture. Where sneaker culture was, currently is, and will be. With the time that I have and available research collected, I have decided to create a write-up/blog post on my own personal photo/blog website, jeddkristjan.com. I unfortunately don't use my website as much as I should, but I'm looking forward to making this semester project a part of it.

So far, I've watched a few documentary films and videos upon the subject as well as looked at a few articles regarding the topic. By the end of the semester, my project will consist of writeups, photos, (maybe) videos and interviews all compiled into a single web page.

The main components of the project will likely be:
  1. small historical background 
  2. examples of growth and influence
  3. the role of the spectacle
  4. resale market 
  5.  "then and now" (value, hype, quality) 
  6. might touch up on the violence that has come along with exclusive sneaker releases, but may be too broad
I hope to explain it the best way I can, in a way that everyone can understand, even people who have no interest in sneakers.

3 comments:

  1. Sidetone:I'm just discovered that it was National Sneaker Day on November 5th.
    Also, NYC just held its first two-day Sneaker Con at the Javit Center on Nov. 5th and 6th. http://sneakercon.com/new-york-city/ They are also holding the Sneaker Con in Maryland and N.C. this month as well. This event could provide a better understand of It how sneakers have gone beyond retails stores and now bring people together into one place to celebrate, trade, sell and buy sneakers. Also, why events like Sneaker Con are important and relevant within the sneaker culture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely talk about our experience when we had that field trip class to the Brooklyn Museum on sneaker culture.

    I know you're already knowledgable on the subject, so pull some stuff out from previous works of your sneaker projects, and you should be good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you ain't know yet, Packers is releasing their NMD collab Saturday Nov. 12 and people will be camping out for sure if you want to go check that out and interview people. There's also the opening of Nike Soho tomorrow Nov. 11

    ReplyDelete