Saturday, September 10, 2016

Erin Jerome, Introduction


Hi classmates! My name is Erin Jerome, and on the left in the photo is my very cute sister Melissa. I'm a senior majoring in journalism, and though I often stress about making a living in the field, I can't shake an idealist passion for it. If I were writing this pre-internet, I would say my professional goals were to write for a big, respected newspaper, and probably walk around with a press card in a fedora. Alas, it's no longer so simple (or stylish). We're writing news in our pajamas at four in the morning for clicks instead of cash.

I don't have a negative outlook, because making a career of writing and journalism is a great challenge to take on. I would like to be an editor at a news outlet in the future, and can also see myself writing a book or two. I would like to write for children at some point in my career as well. The role of media in my life is obviously central, but I have been frustratingly slow to recognize how important critical study of the media will be for my success. Convergence is probably the most important class in our department. Please strike up a conversation with me if you have similar career plans!

Although it's not my end game, I was proud to intern in marketing for Easterseals disability services earlier this year. You can read one of my blogs here

And here's a bonus link to a playlist of Bjork music videos, great for when you can't sleep and want to have more interesting dreams. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment