Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Hamna Saleem- Introduction





Hi Y’all! My name is Hamna Saleem and I am a senior majoring in Journalism and a minor in Video Production. For me, seeing the lack of Muslim women in the media growing up always upset me because I felt that no one was giving justice to our narratives and lives. So from an early age, I always knew that I would want to end up in some sort of media related field. 

After joining the journalism department here at Rutgers, it really has given me a toolbox on how to achieve just that, and through the department, and Newest Americans a colleague and myself where able to have a  documentary published about hijabi Women. This documentary showcases hijabi women taking back their mic and sharing their narratives. I was able to see one of my life long time dreams come alive with the tools I have learned, and I hope to continue to produce more content like this.

As for how media consumption fits my life, I try my best to keep up with the news and to stay well informed, but for the most part I really like to make an effort to seek really creative vides and visuals. I think seeking out such really helps me to better expand my horizons and understand things from a different angle. I don’t feel that I really get that from reading articles as much.

Side note: Hijab is the religious headscarf that muslim women wear. So when writing 'hijabi" it is describing a women who wears the headscarf.

No comments:

Post a Comment